BSAD101 - Introduction to Business - Fall, 2017
August 28/29 :: Course Introduction and the Changing Face of Business
- Introduction to course
- Class syllabus and book
- Here is a link to the Business Department Student Orientation where you can explore how becoming a Business major may benefit you. http://bit.ly/MCBusinessOrientation
- Chapter 1: The Changing Face of Business
- Define business
- Identify and describe the factors of production
- Describe the private enterprise system
- Identify the seven eras in the history of business
- Explain how today’s business workforce and the nature of work itself is changing.
- Identify the skills and attributes needed for the 21st-century manager
- Outline the characteristics that make a company admired
September 5/6 :: Business Ethics and Economic Challenges
- Chapter 2: Business Ethics and Social Responsibility
- Explain the concern for ethical and societal issues
- Describe the contemporary ethical environment
- Discuss how organizations shape ethical conduct
- Describe how businesses can act responsibly to satisfy society
- Explain the ethical responsibilities of businesses to investors and the financial community
- Chapter 3: Economic Challenges Facing Business Today
- Discuss microeconomics and explain the forces of demand and supply.
- Describe macroeconomics and the issues for the entire economy
- Identify how to evaluate economic performance
- Discuss managing the economy’s performance
- Describe the global economic challenges of the 21st century
- Resume due by Friday at 9:00 a.m. on Blackboard
September 11/12 :: Economic Challenges and World Markets
- Chapter 4: Competing in World Markets
- Explain why nations trade.
- Describe how trade is measured between nations.
- Identify the barriers to international trade.
- Discuss reducing barriers to international trade.
- Explain the decisions to go global.
- Discuss developing a strategy for international business.
- Initial proposal for group project due by Friday at 9:00 a.m. on Blackboard
September 18/19 :: World Markets and Business Ownership
- Chapter 5: Forms of Business Ownership and Organization
- Discuss why most businesses are small businesses.
- Determine the contributions of small businesses to the economy.
- Discuss why small businesses fail.
- Describe the features of a successful business plan.
- Identify the available assistance for small businesses.
- Explain franchising.
- Outline the forms of private business ownership.
- Describe the public and collective ownership of business.
- Discuss organizing a corporation.
- Explain what happens when businesses join forces.
September 25/26 :: Test #1 and Entrepreneurship
- Test #1 (Chapters 1- 5)
- Chapter 6: Starting Your Own Business: The Entrepreneurship Alternative
- Define entrepreneur
- Identify the different categories of entrepreneurs
- Explain why people choose entrepreneurship as a career path
- Discuss the environment for entrepreneurs
- Identify the characteristics of entrepreneurs
- Summarize the process of starting a new venture
- Explain intrapreneurship
- Group project presentation plan due by Friday at 9:00 a.m. on Blackboard
October 2/3 :: Management Organization & Presentation Prep
- Chapter 7: Management, Leadership, and the Internal Organization
- Define management and the three types of skills necessary for managerial success.
- Explain the role of vision and ethical standards in business success.
- Summarize the benefits of planning and distinguish strategic, tactical, and operational planning.
- Describe the strategic planning process.
- Contrast the types of business decisions and list the steps in the decision-making process.
- Define leadership and compare different styles of leadership.
- Discuss the meaning and importance of corporate culture.
- Identify the five major forms of departmentalization and four main types of organization structures.
- Prepare for Group Presentations
October 9/10 :: Group Project Presentations
- Group Presentations
- Group project paper due on Monday at 9:00 a.m. on Blackboard with presentations all week
October 16/17 :: Human Resource Management and Top Performance
- Chapter 8: Human Resource Management: From Recruitment to Labor Relations
- Explain the role of human resources: the people behind the people.
- Describe recruitment and selection.
- Discuss orientation, training, and evaluation.
- Describe compensation.
- Discuss employee separation.
- Explain the different methods for motivating employees.
- Discuss labor-management relations.
- Chapter 9: Top Performance through Empowerment, Teamwork, and Communication
- Discuss empowering employees
- Distinguish the five types of teams
- Identify team characteristics
- Evaluate team cohesiveness and norms
- Describe team conflict
- Explain the importance of effective communication
- Compare the basic forms of communication
- Explain external communication and crisis management
- Case Study Assigned
October 23/24 :: Operations Management and Test #2
- Chapter 10: Production and Operations Management
- Explain the strategic importance of production.
- Identify and describe the production processes.
- Explain the role of technology in the production process.
- Identify the factors involved in a location decision.
- Explain the job of production managers.
- Discuss controlling the production process.
- Determine the importance of quality.
- Test #2 (chpts. 6 - 10)
- Case Study Proposal due by Friday at 9:00 a.m. on Blackboard
October 30/31 :: Customer Driven Marketing + Product & Distribution Strategies
- Chapter 11: Customer-Driven Marketing
- Define marketing.
- Discuss the evolution of the marketing concept.
- Describe not-for-profit marketing and nontraditional marketing.
- Outline the basic steps in developing a marketing strategy.
- Describe marketing research.
- Discuss market segmentation.
- Summarize consumer behavior.
- Discuss relationship marketing.
- Chapter 12: Product and Distribution Strategies
- Explain production strategy.
- Briefly describe the four stages of the product life cycle.
- Discuss production identification.
- Outline the major components of an effective production strategy.
- Explain wholesaling.
- Describe retailing.
- Identify distribution channel decisions and logistics.
November 6/7 :: Promotion 7 Pricing Strategies and Test #3
- Chapter 13: Promotion and Pricing Strategies
- Discuss integrated marketing communications (IMC).
- Summarize the different types of advertising.
- Outline sales promotion.
- Describe pushing and pulling strategies.
- Discuss the pricing objectives in the marketing mix.
- Outline pricing strategies.
- Discuss consumer perceptions of prices.
- Test #3 (chpts. 11 - 13)
November 13/14 :: Using Technology to Manage Information and Accounting and Financial Statements
- Chapter 14: Using Technology to Manage Information
- Distinguish between data, information, and information systems.
- List the components and types of information systems.
- Discuss computer hardware and software.
- Describe computer networks.
- Discuss the security and ethical issues affecting information systems.
- Explain disaster recovery and backup.
- Review information systems trends.
- Chapter 15: Understanding Accounting and Financial Statements
- Discuss the users of accounting information.
- Describe accounting professionals.
- Identify the foundation of the accounting system.
- Outline the steps in the accounting cycle.
- Explain financial statements.
- Discuss financial ratio analysis.
- Describe the role of budgeting.
- Outline international accounting practices.
- Case Study Overview due by Friday at 9:00 a.m. on Blackboard
November 20/21 :: The Financial System
- Chapter 16: The Financial System
- Understand the financial system.
- List the various types of securities.
- Discuss financial markets.
- Understand the stock markets.
- Evaluate financial institutions.
- Explain the role of the Federal Reserve System.
- Describe the regulation of the financial system.
- Describe the global perspective of the financial system.
November 27/28 :: Financial Management and Trends in E-Commerce
Chapter 17: Financial Management
- Define the role of the financial manager.
- Describe financial planning.
- Outline how organizations manage their assets.
- Discuss the sources of funds and capital structure.
- Identify short-term funding options.
- Discuss sources of long-term financing.
- Describe mergers, acquisitions, buyouts, and divestitures.
Chapter 18: Trends in E-Commerce
- Discuss the function of e-commerce
- List the major functions of B2B e-commerce
- Explain B2C e-commerce
- Describe the challenges associated with e-commerce
- Discuss how organizations use the web to communicate
- Describe the global environment foe e-commerce
- Discuss building and managing a website
- Identify current trends in e-commerce
May-01 :: Research Paper Presentations
- Case Study paper due on Monday at 9:00 a.m. on Blackboard with presentations all week
- Present your paper to the class on your assigned day
May-10 :: Test #4
- Test #4 (Chapters 14 - 18) [class meets at scheduled exam time for the final test]